There are many large and small opportunities available all over the Bay Area at present. Please keep in touch with the various companies. I put some RFPs up here: http://www.aibcouncil.com/?p=2581 but you really need a list of sites to check once a week to see what new work has come out.
1. Hillsborough County’s small contractor program applications are now open. Hillsborough County – 16165
2. Some organizations have solid on-going work nearly all the time. Tampa Housing Authority has a great record of employing and developing W/MBE companies and has the highest MBE percentage spend in the Bay Area. The Purchasing Director, Nick Dickerson email@example.com, is in Tampa. Become a vendor at http://www.thafl.com/Departments/Contract-n-Procurement/Default.aspx.
3. FDOT is usually interested in working with W/MBEs who in construction. Their website shows the next outreach, although this may be in Orlando or Jacksonville.
4. The Tampa International Airport development project is huge.
4.1 Austin is a major contractor. Please visit http://www.AustinProjects.com/Tampa to see progress. Register on http://www.austinprojects.com/Tampa/bidding.html to show interest as potential supplier. The monthly newsletter, the Conrac Connection newsletter, is online too. Remember that you need to be pre-qualified first, then they go to a lot of trouble to break down jobs into small packets so that many local companies have a piece of the work.
4.2 Skanska is a major contractor. Their W/MBE coordinator is Linda.Porter@skanska.com, and she will assist you to become pre-qualified. Skanska .
4.3 Tampa Bay Lightning is doing a $12 million dollar renovation to the Amalie Arena, and Mortenson Construction are interested in what minority contractors have to offer for this project. firstname.lastname@example.org.
4.4 TAMPA-HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY EXPRESSWAY AUTHORITY is usually looking for minority and women owned businesses. Questions by email to Man Le, THEA Procurement Manager at Man.Le@tampa-xway.com .
5. Hillsborough County Schools has many projects projects. Register with the Office of Supplier Diversity and see Ben Moore, the nicest and one of the most effective small business guys around.
6. The hospitals, led by Tampa General, are working on increasing local purchasing from W/MBEs. Register with them and talk to Felix Bratslavsky, their MBE expert.
7 . HART is the Hillsborough Transit Authority. They are small business friendly, and display new jobs on their website. Gohart.org.
8. Tampa Bay Sports Authority : Deltecia Jones, Procurement Manager, DJones@TampaSportsAuthority.com. O:813.350.6511 | F:813.350.6611.
10. Florida’s $2.1 billion Interstate 4 (I-4) Corridor Ultimate Project in an opportunity for economic empowerment for many small businesses. This is an FDOT project, so this means working with the federal and state Departments of Transportation, the I-4 Ultimate Project contracting team, and other local agencies for contracting opportunities.
Congresswoman Corrine Brown is working on this. Contact Ms. Ronita Sanders at her Orlando office: Ronita.Sanders@mail.house.gov or 407-872-2208 extension 3 with any questions. People involved include:
- Katie Widdison, Roadway Designer, Public Involvement Coordinator, Ghyabi & Associates, Inc., 1459 North U.S. Highway 1, Suite 3, Ormond Beach, FL 32174, Office: (386) 677-5499, Ext. 250, Cell: (386) 212-0449, Katie.email@example.com.
- Noranne Downs, P.E., Florida Department of Transportation District 5 Secretary
- Loreen Bobo, P.E., I-4 Construction Program Manager, Florida Department of Transportation District 5
- Phyllis Butler, DBE Specialist, Florida Department of Transportation District 5
- Maryam Ghyabi, SBE Coordination, Florida Department of Transportation District 5 Consultant
- Roger Masten, District 5 Procurement, Florida Department of Transportation District 5
- Sandra Piccirelli, I-4 Mobility Partners
- Jon Walker, Project Manager, SGL Constructors
- Rodney Renix, Compliance Specialist, SGL Constructors
- I-4 Mobility Partners, Concessionaire (holds contract with Florida Department of Transportation)
- Construction Joint Venture – SGL Constructors: Skanska USA Civil Southeast Inc., Granite Construction Company, Lane Construction Corporation (Lead Contractor)
- Design Joint Venture – HDR Engineering, Inc. and Jacobs Engineering Group, Inc. (Lead Engineer)Infrastructure Corporation of America (Lead Operations and Maintenance firm)
11. If you are interested in Broward work, they are looking for W/MBE people.
12. The City of St. Petersburg: The Greenhouse people are great and the seminars are okay, and getting better. Pay your dues by attending classes to demonstrate that you want to be a vendor (and keep your certificates ready).
13. The Channelside /Gates/ Vinnik programs are growing, as are other downtown Tampa, St Pete and other projects.
14. Every purchasing department is on the lookout for high quality, well-priced products and services in every area. You don’t have to be in construction! Everyone wants good services and products.
15. Mitsubishi. Michael Ang of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (firstname.lastname@example.org).